Doing it Barefoot (The Running Thread)

We told you nothing else mattered but the beautiful game and you still want to discuss cricket, professional wrestling, or ice hockey. Well all right then...

Re: Doing it Barefoot (The Running Thread)

Postby jake » Mon May 10, 2010 1:07 pm

http://www.onlyagame.org/2010/05/saturday-may-8-2010/#7

Barefoot running story on Only A Game.
Who's gonna catch a big fish? Who's goin' fishin'?
jake
unstoppable

Postby dogface » Mon May 10, 2010 2:23 pm

jake wrote:http://www.onlyagame.org/2010/05/saturday-may-8-2010/#7

Barefoot running story on Only A Game.

Thanks. Cool.
Lieberman stripped me of my shoes and put me on a treadmill rigged atop a force plate and attached to a computer. Turns out, I’m a perfect test subject.

As the treadmill ramped up to running speed, Lieberman listened to the “thwack, thwack” my feet made every time they hit the ground. He said that noise is an indication of a major impact.

Lieberman showed me a graph of my short run. When my heel hit the ground, about two times my body weight slammed back up my leg in just one tenth of a second. Lieberman compared it to taking a hammer and hitting myself on the heel. No wonder I like my cushy-soled, pronation-correcting running shoes.

A quick lesson in barefoot running technique and I was back on the treadmill. This time, not only was the sound of my feet quieter, but the impact graph looked like a series of smooth rolling hills.

Instead of my foot loading that impact in a tenth of a second, the barefoot running style allowed my body to absorb that energy over time, and the natural spring in my arch helped me bounce back. But, Lieberman cautioned, before I can become a true barefoot runner, I need to build up strength in my feet and my calves. And that needs to be done over time.

“Don’t do more than a mile at first,” he warns. “If you decide to go run five miles tomorrow barefoot you will curse the day you ever tried it. You will be unhappy. You will be in pain. It will not be fun.”

The next day, I strapped on my five-finger shoes and set out on my first barefoot-style run. I like it. Instead of hearing the “slap, slap” of my feet over the music in my iPod, I take the buds out of my ears and enjoy the sounds of the birds in the trees and the geese on the water.

I have noticed that my feet are getting buffed out. The arches are very strong now and my calves quite hard...the problem I find is in my tendons. My Achilles tendons are tight. And my extensor digitorum longus muscles (the one that runs down the front of your feet) are sore.

So, either I stretch more, or run through it. I only hit 4 km last week, and 5 today. If the feet say slow it down...slow it down.
Two cannibals were eating a clown.

One said to the other "Does this taste funny?"
dogface
Manager
Manager

Postby dogface » Sat May 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Had a weird week. Started strong with 5 and 4km runs on Monday and Tuesday. A short 2.5km on humpday as I have to work all day long...skipped Thursday as I woke up dogtired, walked to the track and ran 2km, but found that I walk wrong now, all heeltoeheeltoe and my knees felt wonky. Watched the Yanks spank the Indians today...er...yeah...and then hit the track at noon and ran in a light rain. 2km, then the next 2 and then I did a Gump and kept running...6KM!

whoohoo! \:D/

dogface
Manager
Manager

Postby allin121 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:52 pm

I've just been noticing a trend in my long runs, and wanted to see if anyone else had some experiences to share. I've done three 20 mile runs to prep for a marathon at the end of May. My intention was to run the whole thing, or most of it barefoot.
So my first run was 18 miles barefoot followed by 2 in huaraches when my toes got tender. I felt like absolute hell afterward. My second was 14 miles in huaraches followed by 6 miles barefoot. I felt incredible. Then yesterday I did 9 miles barefoot, and 9 in huaraches before crashing and burning...unable to complete the last two miles I had planned.

Thanks,

running gear
allin121

Postby dogface » Tue May 10, 2011 3:37 pm

allin121 wrote:I've just been noticing a trend in my long runs, and wanted to see if anyone else had some experiences to share. I've done three 20 mile runs to prep for a marathon at the end of May. My intention was to run the whole thing, or most of it barefoot.
So my first run was 18 miles barefoot followed by 2 in huaraches when my toes got tender. I felt like absolute hell afterward. My second was 14 miles in huaraches followed by 6 miles barefoot. I felt incredible. Then yesterday I did 9 miles barefoot, and 9 in huaraches before crashing and burning...unable to complete the last two miles I had planned.

Thanks,

running gear

That is SO incredible! This guy

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/f ... ot-minimal

had the same experience! I mean the SAME EXACT experience! That is soo weird! :?

Oh, and I am still BF running, but I usually do 2km BF and then put the shoes back on. I'm waiting til I have nice blister skin meat so I can go to Jioa Xi and have the fish eat the dead skin off. Yummers.

dogface
Manager
Manager

Postby dogface » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Not much BF running these days, but I did buy a cheapo pair of sneaks...weight drop from 93KG to about 85KG since March. Gots to love the sweaty weather. =D>

dogface
Manager
Manager

Postby Nagunae » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 am

Has anyone tried those running shoes with toes? They were selling some at Costco the last time I went. I can't remember the price but they weren't cheap. I had read about barefoot running and the supposed benefits. This makes me want to give it a try. Haven't been running too much lately, though. I've been doing more swimming lately and before that more weights and before that hiking. When I get back into running shape (probably next on my list), I might give the Hash House Harriers in Taipei a try. Exercise and drinking- my two passions put together in one!
The Cuervo Gold
The fine Columbian
Make tonight a wonderful thing
(Say it again)
Nagunae
Manager
Manager

Postby turtleman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:37 am

I haven't ran barefoot since I was in Taiwan last year where more people run in barefeet and the track is pretty soft with the clay. Back home it is all pavement or crushed rocks and people give you a funny look in suburbia with all their fancy gear (Underarmor, Lulelemon, ipods, hydration packs, etc). It's like getting dressed up to go running. Since running barefoot, I do not like the the thick cushioned running shoes and I have pulled out my old 'flat' running shoes. I love it because the don't give as much cushioning as they did when they were new.

Anyway, I was replying to the "five fingers" shoes made by Vibram. I tried a pair on and they were pretty good. Much petter than the big-cushioning of regular running shoes. The price tag was $80-100 (Canadian), almost the same as a pair of running shoes. I think it is a good alternative to regular running shoes and for those afraid to go all bare. A cheaper alternative is to wear water shoes which I regularly use for herping for turtles. They are light and give you minimal cushioning. They cost $10. :D

Cheers,
JJ
Those little green turtles you see in the nightmarkets are called Red Eared Sliders (RES) and they get to be 8-12" and live for 20-40 years. You want a turtle still?
~SENS ARMY~
turtleman
Manager
Manager

Postby Nagunae » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:52 pm

I've had great success with a minimalist shoe. I've gone from over 30 minutes for a 5k to under 27 minutes. I also employ a midfoot strike. I tried this before, but things didn't click until I ran in a minimalist shoe. The shoes let me feel the ground and maintain the midfoot strike. I'm so happy that I'm running again, but I'm still cautious and do other sports while I let everything rest up for a go at another round of personal records.
The Cuervo Gold
The fine Columbian
Make tonight a wonderful thing
(Say it again)
Nagunae
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Everything Else