What do you drink during the cold and wet winters?

Belly up and pour yourself a cold one. Learn where you'll find the best Belgian beer selection, liveliest atmosphere and happy hours.

What do you drink during the cold and wet winters?

Postby Nagunae » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:24 pm

I just absolutely love beer, but it's just too damn damp and cold sometimes in Taiwan (especially Taipei) to enjoy a brew sometimes. I've been hitting the scotch lately and have been enjoying myself. Last winter, I got into sake but then I drank one brand that really messed with my stomach and never went back. What do all of you do? Continue with the beer or indulge in an alternative beverage?
The Cuervo Gold
The fine Columbian
Make tonight a wonderful thing
(Say it again)
Nagunae
Manager
Manager

Re: What do you drink during the cold and wet winters?

Postby jake » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Welcome to the Ho, Nagunae.

I tend to stick to beer but during the Lunar New Year we drank whisky with meals. Some stuff called Blue Duke (?) that wasn't half bad. I'm not a big whisky drinker though.

Winter is a good time to try out darker beers or those with a higher alcohol content that might be more suitable for winter than summer. Belgian varieties can be had at the Carrefour or similar. These go down nice in winter. If you've checked out the Un-Beer Festival thread below, you'll know that 7-Eleven has bottles of Sam Adam's Boston Lager (Obama's favorite ??) in regular rotation now and that's a bit more robust than the usual Japanese offerings. Speaking of which, Kirin had a Winter Brew last year but I haven't seen it this year.
Who's gonna catch a big fish? Who's goin' fishin'?
jake
unstoppable

Postby yycann » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks to Nagunae for bringing up this interesting topic !!

The temperature at the moment here in my place in New Jersey is 22 degrees F, or -6 C. And I’m drinking scotch while reading this thread. Well, I’m a scotch lover in all seasons. I do love beer too, especially during summer. I agree with Jake (never have disagreement with him ;) ) that winter is a good time to try darker or stronger beer. Good thing here is that there is quite a lot of beer to choose from. I used to think that beer is the best drink when it is hot and you are thirsty. Now I do appreciate the taste itself.

Cheers !!
:P
Nothing matters but time.....
yycann
"font of all knowledge"

Postby Plumes of smoke » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:58 pm

I drink scotch or bourbon mostly. As it's easier to drink and not as heavy. In the summer I like to indulge in the beers of the summer ( see other thread) . It's ironic as I'm a Brit but I like bourbon more. However the selection of bourbon in this country is somewhat limited and has lead me towards scotch. Last month my tipple of choice was Johnnie Walker Green , that stuff is fantastic. This month however I have leaned towards Jim Beam Black ( only 579 in RT mart) . In the warmer months Im sure I'll move back to beer when im drinking outside of the house tho.
I always knew Chang was Chinese intelligence.
Plumes of smoke
Manager
Manager

Postby jake » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Nice of you to check in, Ann. Hope you are doing well in NJ and haven't had too much snow!! :)
jake
unstoppable

Postby yycann » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:09 pm

jake wrote:Nice of you to check in, Ann. Hope you are doing well in NJ and haven't had too much snow!! :)

Thank you Jake. I'm doing okay here, enough snow though !!!! :evil:

I've never found I like bourbon, sorry "Plumes of smoke". :( Whenever I try any drink, I always come back to scotch. I am not picky about my scotch on the rocks, as long as it is scotch. Haven't tried JW Green yet. That's too expensive for me. For a bottle of 1.75L JW Red, J&B, Dewars, Famous Grouse etc, the price is about US$35 (or NT$1000). The Grant's is even less than US$30. That is quite affordable. Am now trying Glenfiddich 12 year single malt, a gift from a friend. It is a fine scotch and I like it.

Can't wait for the summer to come and more selection of beer then !!
yycann
"font of all knowledge"

Postby Plumes of smoke » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 pm

yycann wrote:
jake wrote:Nice of you to check in, Ann. Hope you are doing well in NJ and haven't had too much snow!! :)

Thank you Jake. I'm doing okay here, enough snow though !!!! :evil:

I've never found I like bourbon, sorry "Plumes of smoke". :( Whenever I try any drink, I always come back to scotch. I am not picky about my scotch on the rocks, as long as it is scotch. Haven't tried JW Green yet. That's too expensive for me. For a bottle of 1.75L JW Red, J&B, Dewars, Famous Grouse etc, the price is about US$35 (or NT$1000). The Grant's is even less than US$30. That is quite affordable. Am now trying Glenfiddich 12 year single malt, a gift from a friend. It is a fine scotch and I like it.

Can't wait for the summer to come and more selection of beer then !!

Bourbon is an aquired taste.After years of trying to be cool drinking Jack I realised that I actually liked American whisky. Ironically I can't stand Jack now. Glenfiddich is lovely, I love single malts but have come to love blends. It's no coincidence that a product designed to taste so good is in fast very quaffable at most times. You mentioned the basic blends but I can't drink them anymore ( is it possible to be a blend snob?) . I can drink J Walker red if Im desperate but given I like my whiskey neat , the 'mixeability' of the lower end blends is wasted on me. Taiwan is the perfect place to like medium aged scotch, indeed at RT Mart I can get Jw black for around 650nt, JW Green 850 ( on a good day) and Dewars and Grouse 12 for around 650. You mentioned value, have you tried the Black Grouse , its very well priced and tastes like a 12 year old whiskey, dark peaty and thoroughly drinkeable.
I always knew Chang was Chinese intelligence.
Plumes of smoke
Manager
Manager

Postby yycann » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:37 pm

I am not a fan of Jack, especially those cocktail with J in it. Once I even felt sick after 2 drinks. None of my friends believe it as they know how much scotch I can take. Haven't tried the Black Grouse yet. Will check it out next time I go to the liquor store. Beer in America, both domestic or imported, is definitely cheaper than in Taiwan. However, not the liquor !! When I first relocated to NJ, USA in 2005, I was surprised that gin or vodka are more expensive here than in Taiwan !!!!
yycann
"font of all knowledge"

Postby Nagunae » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Here are my thoughts on what has been posted so far.

I know temperature-wise it's colder in many other areas of the world but it's definitely more unpleasant in the winter in Taipei! I've lived in areas with snow in the winter for much of my life and the winters in Taipei are far worse in my opinion: no central heating, damp all day long, rainy for three weeks straight, etc. So the idea of gulping large quantities of a refrigerated beverage just doesn't sound that attractive around this time of year. Having said that, though, I did try some Kirin Stout a couple of nights ago (in the name of research, of course) and it wasn't that bad! I had a hard workout (this is another topic but I'm a firm believer in balancing my drinking with exercise!) and I just didn't feel like scotch that night.

Regarding Jack Daniel's...I tried a glass for the first time in about 10 years a few weeks ago. I couldn't finish the glass. I kept getting flashbacks of my youth (I grew up in the midwest of the US) and I just couldn't take another drink after around three or four tiny sips!

Scotch. Has anyone tried Johnnie Walker Double Black? If you see this sometime, grab the bottle with both hands and head straight for the cash register to pay for it. Then enjoy every sip with or without ice.
The Cuervo Gold
The fine Columbian
Make tonight a wonderful thing
(Say it again)
Nagunae
Manager
Manager

Postby dogface » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 am

I nice Port will warm you up good.
Two cannibals were eating a clown.

One said to the other "Does this taste funny?"
dogface
Manager
Manager

Postby yycann » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:41 pm

Nagunae wrote:Scotch. Has anyone tried Johnnie Walker Double Black? If you see this sometime, grab the bottle with both hands and head straight for the cash register to pay for it. Then enjoy every sip with or without ice.

Next time, when I get a chance to see a JW Double Black, I will ACT exactly as you suggested !!! 8)

Speaking of what to drink to warm you up, does anyone try any non alcohol drink? ginger tea or something like that?
yycann
"font of all knowledge"

Postby jake » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:33 am

Good question Ann. Ginger tea (with some brown sugar) is great when you have a cold. I swear by the stuff.

During the New Year we also drank a lot of 老人茶 ("lao ren cha") with the in-laws and that warms you up nicely.

I'm definitely lacking my hearty New England stock these days. In winter here in the apartment it can be around 15 or 16° which is a pretty cold room temperature. If I drink a glass of cold milk or have milk on my cereal, I'll be shivering in minutes.

But I'd have to say hot chocolate is the best non-alcoholic drink to warm you up!
jake
unstoppable

Postby UpScaffold » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 am

Nothing like a big glass of Cognac to warm your soul in winter! Image
UpScaffold
Reserve Squad
Reserve Squad

Postby dogface » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:57 am

UpScaffold wrote:Nothing like a big glass of Cognac to warm your soul in winter! Image

Yeah...I was just in friggid NY and someone told me that Hennessy does the job as well.
Two cannibals were eating a clown.

One said to the other "Does this taste funny?"
dogface
Manager
Manager

Postby UpScaffold » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:11 am

Brandy/Cognac. Pretty much the same thing. Must be drunk straight, though, in a warmed snifter. Problem is, it can cause SEVERE heartburn.
UpScaffold
Reserve Squad
Reserve Squad

Next

Return to The Pub Crawl