Guess Who -sanity

We told you nothing else mattered but the beautiful game and you still want to discuss cricket, professional wrestling, or ice hockey. Well all right then...

Guess Who -sanity

Postby Dr. McCoy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:41 pm

StarSports is showing the Nicks game tomorrow morning. What a surprise.

(I'm sick of hearing about him.)

But I will try to watch the repeat (on ESPN) at least.
What's wrong with this blasted transporter?
Dr. McCoy
Manager
Manager

Re: Guess Who -sanity

Postby jake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Yeah I'm sick of it too. I feel good for the kid but enough is enough. Actually, I wrote an article about him when he was still on Golden State a year or two ago for one of the local English teaching mags. My editor told me to talk about his TW roots and I wrote that while Lin was American born and bred, "Taiwan will surely claim him as one of their own." Looks like I was right, although I never thought he'd explode onto the scene like he has.

It's like wen Lu Yen-hsun did well in Wimbledon, the politicians were like, "Let's open up all these tennis courts and get people playing tennis!" Now Linsanity is in full effect and the politicians are like, "We should open up more basketball courts so people can play basketball and emulate Lin." We are so hero-starved on this island it's unhealthy.

Again, I hope he does well, even though he's on a team I really dislike, but I wish we could turn down the hype a little.
Who's gonna catch a big fish? Who's goin' fishin'?
jake
unstoppable

Postby Malc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Remember when we watched the women's Asian football cup (I think that was it) and Chen Shui-bian announced the "Year of Football". Yeah, right.

Is Lin actually that good or is it all hype? I don't know enough about basketball and stats apparently, as I thought turnovers were a good thing.
Malc
Referee

Postby jake » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:33 pm

I think Lin is a good player, but we saw what happened when he came up against great players like Wade and James last night. He was smothered defensively and at times looked out of sorts. It probably didn't help that he was playing back-to-back nights, and he's probably playing more ball than he has for quite a few years. Also, we have to remember that the Knicks are a pretty lousy team, especially compared to the Heats, and Lin can only do so much. At least he's shown that he belongs in this league, but he still has a lot to work on. He's a good, intelligent player, but he's not a superstar. The whole "Linsanity" thing makes him out to be a superstar and he's not at that level yet. We shouldn't have unreasonable expectations for a kid who is still a rookie for all intents and purposes.
jake
unstoppable

Postby Dr. McCoy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:23 pm

There's a Tulsa player on the Knicks too. He's from Jamaica and doesn't get to play very often, Jerome Jordan. He got drafted in the second round and spent his first year in Europe. Both him and Lin got called up at the same time in January. He never played high school basketball, but he's 7 feet tall.
Dr. McCoy
Manager
Manager

Postby Malc » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:20 am

So he has been playing for a while? Is that at a lower league level?

But he does have the potential to be a great player right? As in the Ox for Arsenal, his first breakout season so there are unreasonable expectations but the potential is there? I hope so and it must be good for basketball as it even got me to tune in for a game...
Malc
Referee

Postby jake » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Malc wrote:So he has been playing for a while? Is that at a lower league level?

He played in college at Harvard. I think he graduated a couple of years ago. Was a end-of-the-bench guy for Golden State last season (when he was a rookie I believe). Didn't play much at all. I think the Rockets invited him to camp post-lockout but he didn't make the team. The Knicks signed him because they were blighted by injuries and he quite literally came out of nowhere.

But he does have the potential to be a great player right? As in the Ox for Arsenal, his first breakout season so there are unreasonable expectations but the potential is there? I hope so and it must be good for basketball as it even got me to tune in for a game...

I think he has the potential to be a good player. I'm not so sure about great though. At least he has shown he belongs in the league. I don't know much about basketball but the pundits say it took a special coach (or one without many options like the Knicks HC) to give Lin a shot. You gotta admire the guy for making the most of his chance. How long does Linsanity last?
jake
unstoppable

Postby Malc » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:53 pm

So then ultimately you're saying that he is an okay player, should be a good squad player, but that the hype has blown things out of context? And is this primarily because having an Asian player is good for the NBA?
Malc
Referee

Postby jake » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:20 pm

I think there is a lot of truth in that, Malc. After Yao Ming retired, there hasn't really been a face of the NBA in China or Taiwan, unless you count James or Bryant, but those dudes aren't Asian. Lin can change that. And of course the NBA wants to sell as many Lin/Knicks shirts over here as possible. If the NBA does a preseason game again in Taiwan (which wasn't possible this season due to the lockout) you can bet Lin will be begged to participate. Hopefully he's not conscripted upon arrival! :lol:

I think he will definitely be a good NBA player if his development continues. Heck, he may even be a starting point guard for the Knicks if things go well--they are not especially deep at this position right now even when their original starter returns from injury. But the landscape is littered with guys who can play but don't get the opportunity due to their situation. Lin's smart--he went to Hahvahd after all--so I think he'll land somewhere if he doesn't stick with NY. I'm guessing the Linsanity ebbs over the next couple of weeks and he can get down to playing ball.

I'm impressed you tuned in for a game! And I'm impressed about the length of this basketball thread/post (especially as I know very little about today's NBA. The Celtics of the 80s on the other hand...)
jake
unstoppable

Postby Nagunae » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:45 am

I feel like I'm the only foreigner in Taiwan who loves this story. I just like the human aspect of it. Lin doesn't seem to be a natural athlete. By sheer will, however, he is doing great game after game. He was cut by two teams and the night before his big breakout game was sleeping on the couch at another player's house. He seriously thought he was going to be cut again. An opportunity comes and he seizes it. And it turns out that the team is just right for his particular skill set. And to top it all off, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. Come on guys, how you can you not like the story! It's just Linsane, this Linderella story that is. Forget the fact that your Taiwanese co-workers are suffering from Linsomnia for all the wrong reasons. Forget the fact that Jeremy filed to obtain rights to the "Linsanity" trademark, for which by the way he would be able to go after others using this mark for trademark Linfringement, and just enjoy this Lincredible story.
The Cuervo Gold
The fine Columbian
Make tonight a wonderful thing
(Say it again)
Nagunae
Manager
Manager

Postby Dr. McCoy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:47 am

It is a great story. And I think it has run its course already. He does seem like a nice guy.
Dr. McCoy
Manager
Manager

Postby Nagunae » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:13 am

Dr. McCoy wrote:It is a great story. And I think it has run its course already.

I think I agree with you. The reporters on both sides of the Pacific have been milking this for all it's worth. Lin has to do increasingly spectacular things for the news reports to continue like this, and that's just not possible. Perhaps doing well in the playoffs would re-kindle interest in the story. Of course in Taiwan interest will remain high unless he starts doing poorly for a long stretch.

Another reason I like the guy is that he's a self-described religious geek (or at least that's the way a teammate described himself and Lin). Jeremy has been quoted quoting (I like the sound of that) Romans chapter 5, and I believe it's this part he quotes:

but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us.
The Cuervo Gold
The fine Columbian
(Say it again)
Nagunae
Manager
Manager

Postby Malc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I think there is a lot of truth in that, Malc. After Yao Ming retired, there hasn't really been a face of the NBA in China or Taiwan, unless you count James or Bryant, but those dudes aren't Asian. Lin can change that. And of course the NBA wants to sell as many Lin/Knicks shirts over here as possible.

Well it's the same, or increasingly so in the PL in England. Arsenal bought the South Korean captain, then have shamefully only played him for 6 mins in the league. All for promotion the rumours go. Mind you we have a young Japanese player who really could do well.

Sorry to hijack the NBA thread though. I did indeed tune in :o

I feel like I'm the only foreigner in Taiwan who loves this story.

I do like the story though and really hope he is a success. He seems like a top bloke all round, I'm just not sure it should be the lead story on all news channels every day...
Malc
Referee

Postby Nagunae » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:04 am

Linsanity II? I still like this story. It has "underdog," "breaking new ground," "breaking stereotypes," and "come back kid" written all over it. I love it! I hope it is the start of Linsanity II.

Hornets guard Jeremy Lin is heating up and surging Charlotte is blazing a trail to its second playoff appearance in three seasons under coach Steve Clifford.

Lin scored 15 of his 29 points in the fourth quarter Monday to lead the Hornets back from a 23-point deficit to beat San Antonio — the largest lead surrendered by the Spurs in the Tim Duncan era. Lin followed that with another strong performance on Tuesday night, scoring 21 points in a win over Brooklyn.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/32ab9eea285542e5bf29678ecaf37a73/linsanity-ii-lin-leading-surging-hornets-playoff-push
The Cuervo Gold
The fine Columbian
(Say it again)
Nagunae
Manager
Manager

Return to Everything Else